Sunday 25 April 2010

ANZAC Day 2010

I've been to many ANZAC Day ceremonies either taking apart in them as an army cadet or watching on the sidelines as a child then as a young mum myself watching my husband march. I always get a lump in my throat when old diggers march by and wonder where they've been and what they had to endure. Although the ranks have dwindled from the first and second world wars it is great to see our Viet Vets getting the recognition they deserve. The women too are proudly present, I've heard some amazing stories this week of women who served. How brave they all were.
Today we went into Hobart to watch the parade, it was proudly led by a historical group of lighthorsemen...
 closely followed by the Australian Army Band....
 and H's Drummer Boy was at the front....
The parade finishes at the Cenotaph
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them. 
 Lest We Forget.

6 comments:

Julie said...

hi jo,
i think it's very sad that it took more than 3 decades for the viet vets to be thanked. better late than never i guess, although i know some vets who think differently.
lest we forget.
julie

Elyte said...

A day to remember. Hope you enjoyed the day.

trash said...

Lest we forget.

Sue-Anne said...

Lovely post Jo. The older I get, the more tears I seem to shed when I see the older ones, like my dad marching.

FlourishingPalms said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos. Your perspective gives us Yanks some good insights, and makes me - for one - think about Americans who've done the same. Blessings.

Melinda said...

Nice post Jo.